The modern world relies on embedded computing systems. They run factories and industry, homes and businesses, cities and transport. Making operations more efficient, boosting productivity, and lowering costs are key. Essential to achieving this is fast, reliable and effective data transfer.
An embedded computer manages a specific task or set of tasks, rather than the all-purpose personal computers we use at home or in the office. They can be programmable with a dedicated function. They must be reliable and efficient, and able to cope with the environment surrounding their location. They may be safety-critical, when failure cannot be tolerated.
Embedded computing systems interface with incoming data (from sensors or switches) and provide outgoing commands in response. Status information is fed back to a cloud management system or home base.
Incoming and outgoing signals require connections – and there are internal connections within the embedded computer enclosure as well. These connections must be resilient to the environment, indoors or out. Conditions may include:
- Vibration and Shock
- Temperature variation and extremes
- Multiple maintenance cycles
- Long-term use without intervention
Selecting the right connector depends on an understanding of the environmental conditions as well as the operating parameters. Our team of Experts can advise on key factors and the right choice of Harwin connectors for your needs.
Our Archer ranges of board-to-board and cable-to-board connectors each have technical characteristics and features ideally suited for embedded applications. Between them they address a wide range of applications, including industrial drives, control units, edge computing, monitoring systems, robotics, instrumentation and IIoT hardware.
Archer .8 Connectors
- 0.8mm pitch connectors
- Available with 30, 40, 60, 80, 100, and 120 pin counts
- 5mm mating height
- Fully shrouded design
Archer .5 Connectors
- 0.5mm pitch connectors
- Variety of pin count options in 30, 40, 80 or 100
- Board stack height of 8mm
- Built-in polarisation
Archer Kontrol Connectors
- 1.27mm pitch connectors
- 12, 16, 20, 26, 32, 40, 50, 68 and 80 contact versions
- Parallel, edge-to-edge, and right-angle configurations
Archer M50 Connectors
- 1.27mm pitch connectors
- Variety of stacking heights 2.2mm to 8.5mm
- Row configuration, cable assembly, latching and polarisation options
- Push-fit shielding cans – removeable for rework
- SMT clips and corner clips
- No secondary soldering operations
- Variety of heights and shield thickness
- Coin cell battery holders – 12mm and 20mm diameter batteries
- Spring contacts and contact pads
- Surface mount and throughboard PCB sockets
How much do you know about embedded systems?
Test your knowledge with our quick quiz to find out if you’re an embedded novice or computing genius.