Female Power Contacts for 2mm Pitch Connectors: T-Contact
Capable of supporting elevated currents of 8.5A
Harwin has announced the introduction of a new female contact for its Datamate connectors that enables significant increases in power delivery levels to be realized. Utilizing a unique, proprietary 6-finger design which is machined from a single piece of beryllium copper, the T-Contact raises the current capacity on compact 2mm pitch interconnection systems, with up to 8.5A per contact being supported. As a consequence, it further improves the size, weight and power (SWaP) parameters of the company’s popular Datamate offering, and addresses the growing need for engineers to ramp up the power in modern space-constrained designs.
The innovative patented design employed in these components presents more contact points, which thereby enhances their resilience to shock (100G) and vibrational forces (40G for 6 hours – 2 hours on each axis). The crimp barrels accept 22AWG wire and comply with IPC-A-620 cable harnessing specifications. The contacts are also gold plated in order to ensure that reliable performance is maintained in even the most demanding of application environments (allowing US military requirements to be met, etc.). It also means that a far greater number of mating cycles (up to 1000) can be undertaken, thereby extending the operation lifespan of connectors into which they are incorporated. Their operational temperature range spans from -55°C to +125°C.
The T-Contact exhibits 60% greater contact wipe compared to existing Datamate contacts – which improves the self-cleaning action and reduces the possibility of surface contamination arising. To accompany these groundbreaking contacts, Harwin supplies a variety of dual-row housings with different jackscrews which are available direct from stock in a broad range of different sizes, from 4 to 50 position options.
Among their main target applications are defense, avionics (control systems, radar, UAVs, etc.), motorsport (navigation systems, sensors, telemetry equipment), industrial automation (drives/controls, robotics, motion control systems) and satellites.
- Current Rating – up to 8.5A max (dependent on number of contacts)
- Vibration – 40G (390m/s²) for 6 hours
- Durability – 1,000 mating cycles
- 60% more contact wipe than the existing design
- Heavy gold plating – 0.76-1.00µm (30-40µ”)
- Meets IPC-A-620 specifications
Download the Component Specification for full details and comparison with existing Datamate performance ratings.
The range consists of a crimp cable female contact and associated dual row J-Tek housings, sold separately.
- M80-2060005 = Female T-Contact – crimp suitable for 22AWG wire
- M80-413xx98 = Female crimp housing with hex slotted floating jackscrews
- M80-414xx98 = Female crimp housing with hex socket floating jackscrews
- M80-415xx98 = Female crimp housing with Reverse Fix jackscrews, 3.5mm panel mount studs
- M80-417xx98 = Female crimp housing with Guide pins, 5mm panel mount studs
- M80-418xx98 = Female crimp housing with 101Lok (quarter-turn) fixings
- M80-2130000B = Slotted panel mount nut
- M80-2430000B = Hexagonal panel mount nut
xx = Total number of contacts the housing accommodates, from 04 to 50 (even numbers only)
To crimp these contacts, Hand Crimp Tool M22520/2-01 and Positioner Z80-444 are required. Insertion Tool Z80-280 is required to fit the crimped contacts into the housings.
Markets and Applications
Typical uses for the Datamate T-Contact include many applications where high-reliability connectors are already specified, but where power requirements or size constraints are increasing. These include:
- Aviation – UAVs, radar and other avionics, in-flight systems and engines or power systems
- Motorsport and Transport – communications, sensors and telemetry, GPS tracking and navigation
- Energy – oil, gas and renewable sources
- Industrial – drives and controls, robotics and other motor systems
- Space – onboard satellites and CubeSats, launch systems and communications
- Defense and Security – radio communications and camera systems, power control modules and actuators